Tuesday, April 01, 2008

A good day for a run over the bridge with 2,999 other people...






I was up at 5:30 in the morning to warm up and get to the Celebrity 5k at 7:00am. By the time I arrived the sun was finally coming up and onslaught of the varied age runners and walkers were arriving at the Miami Children's Museum. Traffic was cut down to one lane going over the MacArthur Bridge heading towards the beach in order to make room for us.
I picked up my race packet, number and gift bag in advance, so I wore my Britto designed shirt for the run. When you arrive at the Museum, you can not fail to notice the large statue that Britto made to greet visitors. It is much better up close.
The downtown skyline was the backdrop and we were greeted/welcomed/thanked with loud music and then introduced to the "celebrities" that were in attendance. Then the Miami Heat Cheerleaders did a dance, the Equinox staff lead some stretching and aerobics. Before the start, Nicole sang a great and soulful rendition of the National Anthem. We were off!
The weather was great at that time in the morning with a cooling breeze. You could appreciate how great our city looks in the morning. The cruise ships were preparing for their trips, sail boats were out, birds were singing....it was invigorating.
Once at the finish line, I received my medal (everyone gets one when you complete the course). Then, off to Nikki Beach Club for a continental breakfast, more music, refreshments and the awards presentations. Overall it was a great morning. I was still hungry afterwards, so Mr. S made me bacon, eggs over easy (cooked in bacon grease), toast and juice....that hit the spot.
As an FYI: The Community Partnership for the homeless has become a model program and should be announcing soon that it will be a template for a national program based in Miami.

No comments: